Thursday, October 8, 2009

David Ritz - Last Days of Brother Ray

The more you know, the more you don’t know. That’s what I’ve been getting out of my class lately. This is true especially in the genre of blues. I thought Ray Charles was a weak pitied figure who wrote some music and was admired just because he was blind. I didn’t know he was a dominant figure who owned his own music and gave a rat’s ass about what people thought about him when he was rewriting “Church Music”. He’s a character for the books for sure, and he proved it –and I read. Teachers always knew trivial facts about some characters randomly, and they all had to go through college, well if I ever become a teacher, I already know where to start. He speaks like my dad would sometimes; I start to get the impression that if I go back in time, it wouldn’t be too foreign to today.

No comments: